Our second Healthy Habit of this year challenges you to reduce your screen time! Get ready to power down those screens, and discover a world beyond the glow of your device.
Why Reduce Screen Time?
We get it – technology is a part of our daily lives. But excessive screen time has been linked to numerous health issues, from eye strain and disrupted sleep to decreased physical activity and addictive behavior. By joining Phone Free February, you will see these benefits:
- Improved Focus: getting in to focus mode takes 10-15 minutes and after an interruption you need that same amount of time to get back to it. Not allowing your phone to continuously distract you will improve your creativity and productivity.
- Enhanced Sleep Quality: Cutting down on screen time before bedtime can lead to better sleep, ensuring you wake up refreshed and ready to join a morning class!
- Reduce stress: Whether you’re scrolling social media, playing video games, or working on the computer, screens increase stress on your central nervous system and increase the stress hormone; cortisol. Too much cortisol can lead to weight gain and muscle weakness! Yikes!!
What to Do Instead?
- Get outside: hike, bike, run or just sit in a park with some friends.
- Read a Book: we especially recommend the books from Rich Froning, Mat Fraser and the CrossFit Level-1 guide.
- Cook a Healthy Meal: Dive into the world of nutritious recipes. Cooking not only fuels your body but also provides a therapeutic break from technology.
- Less Netflix; more chill! 😉
- Get in an extra workout of course
Tips to Reduce Screen Time
- Set Limits: Use the screen time tracking features on your device to set daily limits. This helps you become more conscious of your usage.
- Designate Tech-Free Zones: Create sacred spaces at where screens are a no-go. The bedroom is an excellent place to start for a restful night’s sleep. The gym is another one.
- Establish Screen-Free Hours: Dedicate specific hours of the day to be completely screen-free. Use this time to engage in physical activities or connect with loved ones. Make sure to put your phone away in a cabinet or locker during this time.
- Digital Detox Apps: Explore apps like Moment, Forest, or Stay Focused, which help you monitor and limit screen time.
Phone Free February isn’t just about reducing screen time; it’s about rediscovering the joy of being present, of more focus and creativity, being well rested so you can hit the workout extra hard and making new connections with fellow Vastberaden members!
Are you up for the challenge? Write your name and your average daily screen time from last week as a starting point on the whiteboard. The goal is to reduce by 25% or more each week!
Get in contact with us
We made it possible to start a chat directly on Whatsapp with one of our trainers. This should work on most devices. If the button doesn't work, please text us on : +31(0)6 - 34 13 22 33 . We'll respond ASAP. Thanks!